Thursday, March 29, 2012

Fosterage Yesterday and Today

Questions to ponder:

1. What would you say are the differences between family values today and in our Ancestors' time?

Family values in general in today's society are very very different. Family is no longer priority, in this country at least. Children are not being taught and raised, they just grow up. There everyone is for themselves, the sense of community is gone and people do not take responsibility for themselves. As a teacher, I see so many families that are in such dire straights because of problems, it is unbelievable. I really don't know what else to say about this, I could go into detail and write a book, really do not want to do that here.

2. How has the concept of family changed in today's day and age?

The answer above answers this question. 

3. Would you think the Celtic type of fosterage would be beneficial or workable today?

I do think it would be very beneficial for many reasons though not all of the same reasons that they did in previously. This type of arrangement would allow for parents who have fallen on difficult times to get help for their children with things, like education, that they can not provide. I believe it would give under privileged children a way out, families a way to change their status in future generations, and also give poor families an option to help their children without embarrassment. 

It could totally be workable today in the same way it worked before. 

4. Have you ever "fostered" someone? No. Perhaps not as an official fosterage, but have you ever taken a young person under your wing to mentor them at work or in another capacity?

I have several "fake" daughters who call me mom. Friends of my own children who have come and gone through out the years. Even now these girls call me mom and I am even performing one of my daughters hand-fasting ceremony next March. Our home was not perfect by far, as I suffered with depression, but it was better then many. My kids have learned that since which has cured many of the regrets among us.

5. What examples of beneficial fosterage can be seen today?

 I can see many cases where fosterage can be beneficial but have not really seen any beneficial fosterages... I am sure they are out there, but I have not experienced them.

No comments:

Post a Comment