Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Green Man's Challenge

Today's story is an Arthurian one that involves the Green Man and a challenge he issues to Sir Gawain, who is sometimes known as the Pagan Knight in King Arthur's Court.

The story comes to us from a poem, written in Middle English, found in a late 14th Century manuscript. I have included translations of the poem below.

The story goes something like this:

During the Christmas Feasting at Camelot, a large knight, dressed in green and carrying a holy club and a large axe, entered the feasting hall and gave his greetings to all assembled there.

"I have come to offer a Christmas game." Said the knight. "I will allow anyone here to strike me with my axe. In return, I will be permitted to strike an equal blow at the place of my choosing on New Year's Morning next year."

Hardly a game, as you can see, and the assembly was rather disturbed.

King Arthur himself volunteered to face the knight's challenge but Gawain interceded and asked that this venture be his to undertake.

"A brave man indeed!" said the knight and gave Gawain the axe.

Gawain took the large axe and struck such a blow that the knight's head was cut from his shoulders.

The knight said nothing, but picked up his head and said "On New Year's morning in a year's time, meet me at the Green Chapel, where I shall return this blow."

The knight then left the people to their feasting and did not leave directions as to where this "Green Chapel" was. He did tell him to ask around after "The Green Knight" and the folk would be able to direct him.

Throughout the following year, Gawain set out in search of the Green Night's chapel. He came across many interesting adventures and quests before he finally reached his goal: a hollow mound. No finery adorned, there was no chapel…just this mound with a hole on each end and grass growing over it. This could not be it! Gawain thought.

The knight emerged with a freshly sharpened axe, even bigger and nastier than the first and bade him welcome to his home.

"You have kept your promise right to the time and found me well." The Knight said. "I commend you. However, there is no one here save for us. Take off your helmet and fulfill your promise to me."

Gawain made no moan of the task and did as he was asked. "Do as thou wilt" he said, offering his neck.

The knight raised his axe and it fell. Gawain shrunk away.

"You are not a valiant man!" the knight cried. "I did not flinch when you struck me!"

"I apologise." Said Gawain. "I shall not shrink away again. However, unlike you, I will not be able to simply pick my head up and walk out of here. This hardly matches us blow for blow. Regardless of my impending death, I shall not shrink away."

The knight lifted his axe again and came down hard…but stopped just before he could strike the killing blow. Gawain stood as still as a stone and did not flinch.

The knight then asked Gawain to move his hood so that the neck would be bare.

"Just get on with it." Gawain said after removing the hood and baring his neck. "I did not flounder and delay when I struck my blow!"

The knight lifted the axe lightly and just let it fall on Gawain's neck. It cut in a bit, but not much. Some blood poured down Gawain's neck, but the blow was hardly debilitating or fatal.

"Stop." Said Gawain. "I have stood here while you struck not once but twice. I flinched on the first, which is my fault. But I did not flinch on the second and you decided not to strike me. If you strike me again, I shall requite you, for you have not upheld your promise of blow for blow."

During Gawain's travels, he had met with a beautiful lady who had seduced him and tried him with kisses. She had even given him a woven green girdle. The Green Knight called Gawain on this since the woman had been his own wife. Gawain apologized in shame for wooing the knight's wife.

"Worry not." The other knight said. "I sent her to try you and you held off as well as an honourable man would be expected to. Keep the girdle, for it is mine to give to you."

"I shall keep this girdle to remind me of my weakness towards women…" Gawain said, thanking the Knight.

The Knight then confessed that Morgain Le Fay had sent him to the Hall that Christmas night to test the will of Arthur and placed a blessing of happiness and good fortune on Gawain for being an honourable man.

Gawain fared well in all his endeavours after that point, but still bore within himself a sense of shame, even though he had been exonerated. No one bore him ill will, but he wore the girdle and the scar on his neck as a reminder of his weakness.


Questions:

  1. At this time, look at the challenges facing you. What are you seeking to accomplish this coming year?
I would like to join the Bards, Ovates and Druid to start my druid studies.
I want to be able to meditate at will when needed.
I want a good understanding of the Goddess who has chosen me.
I will open my brick and mortar store this year.
  1. In the dark of the winter, Nature gives us the challenge to "work with it, not against it". It has struck its blow by making the land barren and the sky dark. How can we fulfill our promise to Nature? What can we do to achieve this?
Do no take needlessly. Always give back and give thanks.
  1. Who is your main challenger in life? Looking at this person (who you may not even like!), what does he or she teach you? How does he or she reward/challenge you?
I feel that my challender in life is myself. Fighting a lack of confidence and depression makes my life more difficult then it could otherwise be.
  1. What do you feel are the Green Man's challenges in your life? What is the main theme?
To respect myself and remember that I am a part of nature and to have faith that she will care for me always.

**********************************

One basic truth in life is that while we may try to be honest, not everyone else will be!

Common sense is the greatest weapon we have against most types of deception as one of Fionn McCumhail's warriors found out the hard way one night… (From the Fenian Cycle of Irish myths)

Fionn and his men were involved in a chase one evening and were found by a Druidic Dwarf while taking a rest afterwards. The dwarf invited them to stay at his place since they looked weary.

The men were not trusting of the dwarf, but figured it would be nothing if not an adventure…so why not?

The men were treated to a wonderful dinner with plenty to drink and then fine beds to sleep in afterwards. Once the men had retired for the night, the adventure began!

Fionn was visited in his room by a woman who was fairer than the fairest women of legend. She stood in a rich chariot drawn by tiny horses and she spoke in a melodious voice.

"Come and sit beside me in my chariot and come with me to my home in the hills!" she said in an inviting tone.

Fionn was enthralled by the woman but something in his mind told him to put his thumb to his mouth (for Fionn could receive Otherworldly wisdom via the thumb he had burned on the Salmon of Wisdom). He did and the vision changed immediately.

Before him stood not a beautiful maiden in a rich chariot, but an old withered creature on a cart of sticks. Fionn turned away and did not move. Sensing that the creature had not left, he blew his horn to warn the others of wicked tricks.

The horn was heard by Fergus, Caeilte, Diarmuid, Oisin, Luacha, Goll, and Conan. All of these men were being visited by similar visions of loveliness and each took this as a sign to turn away as their chief had done.

Only one of the company did not hear the horn: a man by the name of Conan the Incontinent…one not very well loved by the rest of the Fianna.

He jumped right into the fey woman's car and found himself landing headfirst into a well of boiling water. He grabbed onto a beam that was above the well and yelled so loud the others came running to him. He was found straddling the spit over the large cooking cauldron.

The others comforted him but warned him to resist temptation for the rest of the night.

No sooner had Conan the Incontinent fallen asleep but he was visited by the same vision of the woman in the chariot and again he jumped into the car, only to find himself thrust into a forest where he was attacked by a giant panther that took his head into its mouth and began jawing on it. He screamed and the men rushed to his aid, only to find him lying on the floor with a housecat sitting on his chest, licking his chin.

"If you disturb us again with your wailing, we shall beat you with our sword belts!"

All was silent for awhile, but Conan's cries again filled the house. The men found him pinned to the floor by his hair while he struggled against unseen hands. Fionn chewed his thumb and saw the Druidic dwarf sitting in the corner singing a song. The warriors held their spears to his throat demanding his release.

The dwarf gave Fionn a vial which he then gave to Conan. The other men stood watch over the dwarf until they heard Fionn laughing. When they turned around, Conan sat unhurt but with a large bald spot on the top of his head.

They all laughed a moment, but resolved to leave the abode as soon as possible for fear of further trickery.

From that day forward, any warrior embarking on an adventure was wished better luck than Conan at Creas!


Questions:

1. Have you ever been the victim of a scam?
No, I have not.

Looking back, how could you have prevented it?

2. Have you ever deceived someone else?
No, not really, at least not intentionally. I try hard not to decieve though I have been accused of being deceiptful.

3. How have you grown from your experiences with deceit over the years?
I am just not a deceptful person, and I am also not gullable.

1 comment:

  1. Celestial Elf... Loved it. I hope you don't mind that I shared it with my facebook group, also Life's Mystical Journey. you should come check us out. If you like my blog, you would probably love our group.
    Blessings to you and yours.
    Journey

    ReplyDelete